Monday, March 1, 2010

I'm home! Safe, sound, grimy, and so thankful to hug my husband again. What an incredible week. I'm still processing so much and in desperate need of sleep, but there's no question in my mind that the past 9 days have changed my life.

The day we arrived in Haiti, I had this strange moment riding in the back of a truck away from the airport...I thought to myself, 'Why am I here? Why now? Am I just trying to be a hero? Did I come with the ridiculous notion that God's going to be impressed with my willingness to serve Him and bless me?' I knew that God had opened the door for me to go, but I wasn't really sure why. And intermittently throughout the week, even though I was working my behind off and had tangible evidence that I was in Haiti for a reason, I still caught myself asking the same questions.

I'll fill in many stories and lessons learned from the week later when my brain is awake, but I just have to share that yesterday we had church together (in English!) before we left Port au Prince, and I was asked to summarize what God had done in my heart in the previous 9 days. During the course of my time in Haiti, as I sat on the dirty floor and bandaged wounds, played duck-duck-goose with children, laughed until I cried with our team and served in whatever capacity I could, God reached down into one more layer of my heart and did some incredible healing. Another work of grace...terribly unpleasant at times and truly unexpected...but healing all the same.

I can't wait to share more later, but right now I need to go eat...a giant piece of chicken...I haven't had meat in over a week! :-)

Thank you SO, SO much for your prayers and support. God kept us all safe and healthy and did some awesome work in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Can't wait to hear/read about your week. Didn't it feel good to be able to brush your teeth with water from the tap and have a hot shower? :) It always amazes me the things we take for granted in life--spending time in places like Haiti can change your perspective.

    ReplyDelete