Thursday, November 5, 2009

I've spent the afternoon reading through the first few chapters of Matthew…one account after another of Jesus performing miracles…doing the impossible…restoring health…hope…life. And I know the instances recorded in Scripture are true.

The Centurion comes before Jesus on behalf of his servant who is lying in agonizing pain at his home and says, “…just say the word, and my servant will be healed.” And, Jesus heals the servant according to the Centurion’s faith. Just like that.

A little while later, Jesus is out on a fishing vessel with His disciples when a storm begins to toss their boat, threatening to capsize it. The disciples start to freak out and wake Jesus, who’s trying to sleep, up from His nap. He says to them, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” And He calms the wind and the waves with one word. One word.

He purifies the skin of the leper when the man says, "Lord, if You're willing, You can make me clean."

Jesus drives out demons.

He commands a paralyzed man to simply get up and walk.

He instantly cures a woman who has bled for 12 years because she reaches out and touches the hem of his robe.

He raises a young girl from the dead. From the dead!

And, as He’s walking down the road, two blind men stop Jesus in hopes of having their sight restored. Jesus turns to them and says, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”

The blind men both say, “Yes,” and Jesus reaches out to touch their eyes, immediately restoring their sight.

…“Do you believe that I can do this?” …

I read that, and I think to myself, ‘Well, of course Jesus can do that…He’s healed thousands of people and stilled the sea with one word…and He already knows the answer of the blind men to His question. Why even ask?’

I think that Jesus wanted to hear their expression of faith.

God asks me the same question with the same intent.

…”Do you believe that I can do this?”…

I don’t know, Lord, my heart’s pretty broken. Seriously broken. I’m not sure if You can really make me whole again.

…”Do you believe that I can do this?”

Well, Shaun’s been out of work for quite a while. Our financial situation isn’t pretty. I don’t know if you’ve searched the local listings recently, but there aren’t a whole lot of jobs open.

…”Do you believe that I can do this?”…

Doctors have always told me that it would be difficult for me to get pregnant. The first one was a miracle. I’m not so sure.

Jesus recognizes our faith. He responds when we come to Him with the realization that “fixing” our problems is not something that any of us is capable of in our own strength. Jesus refuses to heal without faith. Plain and simple. If I’m going to come to Him with requests for healing, provision, blessings, fulfillment of my heart’s desires, I better come with a little bit of faith, huh?


…”Do you believe that I can do this?”…

Maybe a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ is all He’s looking for.



No comments:

Post a Comment