Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Emotionally Healthy Spirituality"

I just started reading the book, "Emotionally Healthy Spirituality" be Peter Scazzero. At first, I'll be honest, I thought the title sounded a little bizarre, but it's a great book! I would recommend it without hesitation, and I'm only one chapter into it!

It's based on the idea that spiritual maturity cannot take place unless we're intentionally maturing emotionally as well. Scazzero says that, "spirituality divorced from emotional health...allows deep, underlying layers of our lives to remain untouched by God." That's why so many times in our relationship with God we feel stuck! We do stuff in an attempt to grow spiritually - read one Christian book after another, pray more, read Scripture more, give more, get involved more - and those things are good, but unless we're going to grow up emotionally and allow God to transform our whole person (which usually involves some down-to-the-nitty-gritty-hard-work), we're not really getting anywhere.

So interesting, and, I believe, very vital to the healing that God's doing in me these days.

Okay. Pick up the book this week (or order it on Amazon...it's cheaper!) and let me know what you think.

PS - Shaun has another job interview tomorrow morning...please pray! And we're so close to the finish line in the hiring process for my job, I can almost taste it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment