Thursday, December 3, 2009

I've always had a fascination with the changing of seasons. I think I’ve probably mentioned it before…there’s just something about the trees that intrigues me, and early fall is my favorite.

But right now, in the good ol’ Pacific Northwest, the trees are bare. The leaves have fallen, and what’s left is the stark contrast of brown branches against a grey sky. Zachary’s cherry blossom tree is looking a little bit…hmm…sad. And it’s cold, too! For the past couple of mornings, a thick white frost has coated the lawn. My gardens have seen better days. My backyard looks a little bit bleak.

But I know something that the chill in the air and the empty trees and the frost on the ground don’t tell me…spring is coming. Spring is coming.

I know, it's a little early to be talking about spring. But, soon those branches will be covered in new, green buds. My flowers will be in full bloom again. The sky will be blue, and the sun will come out. The breeze will be warm. The patio chairs will come out of the shed.

The death in my backyard will be replaced by new life.

But, the timing of the coming of spring in Seattle is…well…variable. This past May, it was 75 degrees for Memorial Day weekend. But, most years, we don’t enjoy the sunshine until well into June...or later.

No matter when, though, spring will come. And, when everything around me indicates otherwise, I can have faith that new life…new direction…new passion…new energy…new growth…is coming. In God’s timing and in His way. Spring wouldn't be so exciting if the winter wasn't so dark and cold.

As agitated and anxious as I’ve been in the past few weeks, I’m resting today in that anticipation and in the hands of the One who makes all things new.


"This is what God the LORD says—
he who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it:

'I, the LORD, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people'..." Isaiah 42:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment