Thursday, April 1, 2010

Tuesday night we pulled into the driveway a little after 11pm. While I was exhausted, I sat in the passenger’s seat with an incredible sense of awe.


On Tuesday night I held a newborn for the first time since I held my own son.


It’s something I have utterly dreaded since last May. I’ve skipped countless baby showers, refused to extend my arms to hold an infant, avoided conversations, and, sadly enough, even avoided friends. I have cocooned myself against the world in a sense because, to my weakened heart, the world has been harsh. And, in my little cocoon, I had built up so much anxiety that I didn’t know if I would ever be able to hold an infant again.


But I did. And it was wonderful. In the comfort of a home where I've spend countless hours and with people who love us tremendously, I held baby Noelle.


No tears. Just love.


Thanks, Paul and Julie, for sharing your precious gift with me.

2 comments:

  1. This post brought tears to our eyes. We are printing it to put in Noelle's baby book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. What a HUGE leap of faith to reach out and take hold of sweet baby Noelle! This totally touched our hearts Courtney. And please know that it's 100% all right to take a step back from friends, showers, conversations, etc as you need to. We totally, completely support you in that.

    ReplyDelete